Michael Samuel, MD
- Retina Disease/Surgery
Michael Samuel, MD Chief Medical Director, Partner
Dr. Samuel is a nationally renowned clinician, surgeon, and researcher. Dr. Samuel specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of various retinal diseases, including diabetic retinopathy, age-related macular degeneration, macular hole, epiretinal membrane, and retinal vascular diseases.
Following his fellowships, Dr. Samuel accepted an academic position at Wills Eye Institute in Philadelphia, an internationally recognized eye hospital. He was a member of the Retina Service and an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology for three years. Here, Dr. Samuel trained numerous residents and retina fellows in surgical and medical retinal diseases in one of the largest and most highly regarded programs in the nation.
He is consistently named as one of the “Top Doctors in the USA” and has won numerous surgical teaching awards. Along with Dr. Tom Chang, Dr. Samuel was part of the team that performed the world’s first surgical implantation of stem cell treatment for dry macular degeneration, which was in collaboration with the Johnson & Johnson Stem Cell organization. He also serves as the chairman of the executive committee of the Retina Institute.
- Doctor of Medicine: Meharry Medical College
- Ophthalmology Residency: Henry Ford Hospital
- Pediatric Retinal Surgery Fellowship: Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship: Doheny Retina Institute
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Member of the American Medical Association
- Member of the American Society of Retinal Specialists
- Published over 25 peer-reviewed research articles, a number of book chapters for medical text, and is a section editor for the Retina Times Magazine, a publication of the American Society of Retinal Specialists.
- Authored the leading book, Macular Degeneration: A Complete Guide for Patients and Their Families
- Spending time with his wife and two daughters
- Avid golfer
- Car enthusiast
- Rooting for the Ohio State Buckeyes