Tom S. Chang, MD
- Retina Disease/Surgery
Acuity Eye Group - Arcadia
288 N Santa Anita
Arcadia, CA 91006
Acuity Eye Group - Encino
5400 Balboa Blvd
Encino, CA 91316
Acuity Eye Group - Glendale
435 Arden Avenue
Glendale, CA 91203
Acuity Eye Group - La Quinta
47-474 Washington St
La Quinta, CA 92253
Acuity Eye Group - Lancaster
44815 Fig Ave.
Lancaster, CA 93534
Acuity Eye Group - Palm Desert
44139 Monterey Ave.
Palm Desert, CA 92260
Acuity Eye Group - Pasadena
100 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91105
Acuity Eye Group - Riverside
6906 Brockton Ave.
Riverside, CA 92506
Acuity Eye Group - Rowland Heights
17833 Colima Road
Rowland Heights, CA 91748
Tom S. Chang, MD Managing Partner
Dr. Chang is an internationally renowned clinician, surgeon and educator. He received his MD from the University of Toronto Medical School and his ophthalmology residency training from the University of Western Ontario. He completed three fellowships in retinal diseases: an ophthalmic pathology fellowship from the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins University, a macular disease fellowship with Dr. Donald Gass at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of the University of Miami, and a vitreoretinal surgery fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta.
Upon completion of his training, Dr. Chang was Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of British Columbia for five years and then an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at the Doheny Eye Institute for six years where he was Director of the Retina Fellowship. In November 2005, he founded the Retina Institute of California (RIC).
Dr. Chang was part of the team that performed the world’s first surgical implantation of stem cell treatment for dry macular degeneration, which was in collaboration with the Johnson & Johnson Stem Cell organization. To date, the doctors at RIC have performed more sub-retinal stem cell surgeries than any other center in the world.
Dr. Chang has given over 120 lectures in 15 countries, and has written over 50 peer-reviewed publications. He serves on the scientific advisory boards of several Fortune 500 companies and previously was the team ophthalmologist for the NBA Vancouver Grizzlies. His patients include many CEOs, professional athletes and physicians.
His research interests include health outcome assessments and drug delivery systems. His clinical interests include macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
- Doctor of Medicine: University of Toronto Medical School
- Ophthalmology Residency: University of Western Ontario
- Ophthalmic Pathology Fellowship: Wilmer Eye Institute at John Hopkins University
- Macular Disease Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute at University of Miami
- Vitreoretinal Surgery Fellowship: Emory Eye Center at Emory University
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- Associate editor of the journal "Ophthalmology"
- Editor-in-Chief of the Retina Times
- Editorial board of Evidence Based Eye Care
- Listed in Who's Who and Best Doctors of America
- Awarded the top teaching award by ophthalmology residents for three consecutive years