Thomas Avallone, MD
Thomas Avallone, MD
Dr. Avallone is a board-certified, fellowship-trained glaucoma, cataract, and refractive specialist. He specializes in complex and advanced techniques in cataract surgery, laser-assisted cataract surgery, premium intraocular lens implantation, medical treatment of glaucoma, laser treatments of glaucoma, minimally-invasive glaucoma surgery (MIGS), and traditional and implant glaucoma surgery.
Dr. Avallone completed his medical school training at the LSUHSC Shreveport. He then completed his ophthalmology residency at Naval Medical Center San Diego. Afterwards, Dr. Avallone served as the the Department Head of Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton’s Ophthalmology department. He then completed his glaucoma fellowship at Stein Eye Institute at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), going on to be an Assistant Professor of Surgery at F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine, Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences, and serve as an Attending Surgeon at Naval Medical Center San Diego teaching residents refractive, cataract, and glaucoma surgery.
- Fellowship: Stein Eye Institute, University of California, Los Angeles
- Residency: Naval Medical Center, San Diego
Professional Affiliations and Awards
- American Board of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Glaucoma Society
- Oct 2019 - Inductee, Honorable Order of St. Lucia, Military Honor Society
- Jun 2015 - Department of Ophthalmology Research Award, NMCSD
- Jul 2014 - Chief Resident of Ophthalmology, NMCSD
- Jun 2012 - NMCSD Transitional Co-Intern of Year
- May 2011 - LT Thomas Eadie Award, Officer Development School, Newport, RI.
- May 2008 - Ronald B. George Scholar of Internal Medicine, LSUHSC-S
- Mar 2007 - Cum Laude, Louisiana Tech University
- May 2004 - Varsity Letterman, Baseball, Louisiana Tech University
- Navy & Marine Corps Commendation Medal
- Meritorious Unit Commendation x2
- National Defense Service Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Spending time with family